People think slavery is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and you might even see people in slavery all the time around you. Slavery has modernized. You are likely worried for them but do not know the exact words to help them. You may have even told yourself that they are just weird people. However, anyone in slavery suffers and will need help to be free.
Anyone who is being held against their will and forced to work is a slave. This can happen because of gangs or even corrupt corporations who find vulnerable victims and manipulate them. People are sometimes tricked into thinking they got a perfect job, only to find out they can no longer leave. Slavery has changed the way it looks in the modern world and can show its face in different ways.
● The most common types of jobs slaves are made to do is forced sex work.
● A slave may also be forced to commit crimes for a living.
● Debt bondage is a common form of modern slavery. If someone is being forced to work to pay of an unrealistic debt, that is also considered slavery.
● Child labor and human trafficking are signs of slavery.
● Sometimes people are forced into marriage.
Signs to Look Out For
A modern slave does not carry the same chains and scars a slave of the past will, but there are more than enough signs to make them obvious. As long as you notice something strange and start to pay attention, it is likely that you will start to realize some of these common signs
● Their movements are restricted. If they don’t leave the house often or only leave the house on orders, your warning alarm should go off.
● Malnourishment is a big sign. It is likely they are not getting enough food as they are living with other slaves and are not being treated like humans.
● They may have unexplained injuries because slave owners use physical violence as a tool to control their slaves.
● If they lack essential identity documents, you could be looking at a slave. Many times, a slave master will take those documents away from them so they cannot run away.
● Many slaves avoid strangers. One of the ways they are manipulated is with lies about how they can’t trust anyone. They will not want to talk to you or avoid eye contact if you approach them.
Ways To Help
Keeping slaves is a severe crime. If you report the slave owner, they will surely go to jail for life. There are a few ways to help. You should always contact the police if you think someone’s life is in immediate danger. If not, you can also decide to call the Modern Slavery Hotline. There are also many different international non-profit organizations that do a lot of work trying to end slavery. The most well-known organization is called Anti-Slavery International. They have projects in Europe, Africa, and Asia.